Monday, March 25, 2013

Finding My Way...

I think I've finally found my way - or at the very least, settled on who I am here. With the decision made to return to the US on July 1st, I find resolve.

I know who I am here. I don't have to try to be a spanish speaker. I will not learn to speak spanish here.  I'm just the girl that popped in for 1 year and popped right back out. I didn't learn spanish, but I learned to function. I made some unbelievable friends. There is something about living in another country that creates a bond between people that is different than anything that I have ever experienced. These girls were my life-line. They enabled me to survive the crazy. They understand what every look on my face means and what emotions I am going through. It was an insta-bond kind of friendship that I will be eternally grateful for.

I feel like for 6 months before our move here, I was focused on getting here. Now, with only 3 months left, I'm focused on leaving. I feel less invested. When we first arrived, my purpose was to figure things out and to help my family sort it out, too. We've adjusted. We fit in. Which left me feeling like I didn't have a clear purpose. What am I supposed to do now? I felt like I was just "biding my time" until we moved back.

Luckily, Zumba arrived in the way of two new ladies moving in to our church from the US. Both are Zumba instructors and both have offered free classes. After 1 class, I was hooked! Now, I go to Zumba. It gives me something to do besides pinterest. :) I even ventured out to the local YMCA type facility and will sign up for classes next week. For around $20 USD a month, I can take 5 Zumba classes a week. I'd like to say that I'll come back skinny-minny, but that isn't the case. I eat too much. But whatever. It gets me up and out of the house allowing me to do something besides taxi my kids.

Yep. I've figured out who I am and what I do and it only took 9 months. It will be another adjustment when we get back - but I'm not crossing that bridge yet. I've got graduation and missions around the corner. I'm not ready to look too far into the future just yet. I like being here in Chile just thinking about what to make for dinner. As hard as it is, it's a lot easier than letting go...

Thank goodness for Chile!

No comments:

Post a Comment