Friday, July 27, 2012

Names en Espanol

There are so many average, everyday things that are different here. For example, yesterday during our Spanish class, the teacher was talking to us about names. ***I learned that "Yo me llamo Tammy". Pretty advanced stuff...

I learned that people here have two last names. For example; my son Andrew's name would be: Andrew Schick Robinson. He would have his given name, his father's last name then my father's last name. When women get married, they do not take on their husband's name at all. They also only go by their father's last name, even though their mother's name is listed there as well. So Andrew would be called, Andrew Schick, but when writing his name or signing something legal, he would add the Robinson to the end. There is always a spot for two last names. No big deal - except when you are trying to figure out who is who.

I meet someone at church for example. The woman tells me her name. At a later time, I might meet her husband, who tells me his name. Without them matching up - I have NO idea who goes with who. It just makes things even more confusing for me.

I also learned that here in Chile, instead of introducing your wife as "me esposa", men will commonly say, "me mujer" meaning 'my woman'. Showing ownership. This cracks me up. It it a contradiction. The women are showing no connection to the man by not even using his last name, but will allow that same man to tell people that she is "his". It isn't as literal as it sounds, but funny none-the-less.

I also learned that days of the week and month names do not have to be capitalized. I find this stuff so interesting!

I love that this teacher is teaching me Chilean. I enjoy learning the language and the differences between it and other spanish countries.

I was taught a ton of stuff yesterday - but not sure exactly how much of that I actually LEARNED. She told me that in the beginning it will seem like a lot of information and that I won't understand it all, but that's ok. It will come.

Good. I'm right on track.

Things I do know:

My home address and phone number in spanish. *Woot-Woot*

The all important, "Mas despacio, pro favor." Meaning, slower please.

Also, "Lo siento" I'm sorry. Which is awesome because I can add that to my "No hablo espanol" and get a polite little, I'm sorry, I don't speak spanish. AWESOME!

Yeah, I'm rockin' this whole spanish thing. Until I sit down with a spanish speaker - and realize how little I know. Whatever, baby steps in the right direction...

No comments:

Post a Comment